Madison, WI has a lot to offer, especially if you are into craft beers, music, or food. However, one thing you may not know is how many museums it has. From art to history, there is a lot to see and learn about at Madison’s many museums. Here’s a list of the five best museums in Madison!
1. Chazen Museum of Art: This large museum run by the University of Wisconsin is home to a wide variety of American, Asian, and African art exhibitions from prehistoric times to modern times. This variety will allow you to find the types of exhibits you are interested in, and maybe even learn about a type of art you have never seen. They also have special exhibitions featuring local artists at different times throughout the year. The best part? You don’t have to worry about the cost of experiencing this incredible art because the museum is free!
2. Wisconsin Veteran’s Museum: Another famous museum in Madison is centered more on American History than Art. This museum focuses on the contributions of Wisconsin veterans to American history and contains many artifacts from every conflict from the American Civil War up to the Persian Gulf War. Some of these artifacts include cannons, helicopters, and even full-size aircraft. Even if you aren’t from Wisconsin, the insight into these important parts of American History applies to everyone. And, like the Chazen Museum, this one is also free!
3. Madison Museum of Contemporary Art: While the Chazen museum offers art from many periods, this museum focuses on modern and contemporary art exhibits. However, this doesn’t mean you won’t get variety. This museum not only includes more traditional contemporary art like paintings but art from music and video as well as a rooftop sculpture garden. Before you enter, make sure to take a good look at the museum itself, as was designed by a world-renowned architect, and is a beautiful building that is a work of art in and of itself.
4. Madison Children’s Museum: Whether you are an art, history, or science lover, you will love the children’s museum — it’s one of the best places to take kids in Madison. This interactive museum will help your children learn to love learning and discovery. This museum includes everything from an art studio, to building and architecture, to “Possible-opolis,” where kids take on puzzles and challenges. Throughout the museum, your child will learn through experience, and have fun doing it!
5. University of Wisconsin Geology Museum: While it is a little smaller than most of these other museums, it has a great variety of exhibits that take you through the geologic history of Wisconsin. Because the university runs this museum, this means you will learn about rock formations, life forms through bones and fossils, and even meteorites that have landed in Wisconsin!
Overall, Madison is home to a wide variety of fascinating museums. No matter what matters to you, you will be able to find what you like at one of these fantastic museums!